This week, we will have a blast as we explode our minds with new ideas…while acting our hearts out.
To Shakespeare’s characters, Magic is real and Myths are no metaphor. In earlier times, our eyes looked above and below for help and guidance. Our stories involved the Gods and Goddesses of Earth, Sky and Sea – as well as magical potions, mischievous fairies, sprites and scary spirits. Not only will we get to dive into playing other worldly characters in Shakespeare’s plays, but we get to share our favorite myths together, exploring their relevance in our lives; Why do such conspiracies abound around the Bard? We will engage daily in discussion on Myths, Oral Traditions and how a “story” could turn a corner and become a collective Truth.
Our plays may include:
- Love’s Labours Lost (Greek Play Within a Play)
- Troilus and Cressida (Trojans vs Greeks)
- Cymbeline (visitation of Jupiter and the Oracle)
- Hamlet (as inspired by Orestes)
- I Henry IV – Glendower (Wizard of Wales)
- I Henry VI – Joan La Pucelle (Joan of Arc & spirits)
- 2 Henry VI – (Wizards, Apparitions, Gloucester’s wife, 7 witches)
- 3 Henry VI – (curses and prophecies)
- Julius Caesar (ghost, portents, supernatural storms)
GRADES 2 through 8 (Fall 2022)
July 18 – 22
Monday through Friday – 10 am to 3 pm
Kenneth Hahn State Recreation Area
4100 S La Cienega Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90056
Pay what you can.
We believe that every child who is drawn to this work should be able to participate. If you are able to pay something, your contribution will help us reach more children!
– Camp will take place entirely outdoors.
– All staff over 16 years of age are fully vaccinated
– Because we are outdoors, masks will not be required. Participants are welcome to wear them, if they would prefer to do so. There may be exercises where we suggest that they remove their masks and implement social distancing.
– Kenneth Hahn has bathrooms with hand-washing facilities. SYF will provide soap, disposable towels, and hand sanitizer, to assure that campers can follow proper hygiene practices.